Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Girl's Night

I went to a Girl's Night last night to see my cousin Tina who was on for her birthday. It was nice seeing everyone. It makes you wonder where all the time goes. I enjoyed catching up, and everyone gave me a smile that I left with. I appreciate them inviting me over.

Before I went I made a healthy dish that I got from www.skinnytaste.com. It was baked mozzarella sticks with a marinara sauce. I thought it turned out very good. My daughter said it tasted like pizza to her.


If you are interested, here is the recipe I got from their site:

Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks

Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 12 • Serving Size: 2 pieces • Old Points: 1 pts • Points+: 2 pts*
Calories: 86.8* • Fat: 4.8 g • Protein: 7.4 g • Carb: 3.5 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Sugar: 0.2
Sodium: 168.6

Ingredients:
• 12 sticks part-skim, reduced sodium mozzarella string cheese (Sargento)
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 2 tbsp flour
• 5 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
• 5 tbsp panko crumbs
• 2 tsp parmesan cheese
• 1 tbsp dried parsley
• olive oil cooking spray (I used my misto)

Directions:

Cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.

In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish. In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and dried parsley.

Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs.

Repeat this process with the remaining cheese placing them on a tray with wax paper. Place cheese back into the freezer until ready to bake (this is a must or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).

When ready to bake preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil.

Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake in the bottom third of your oven until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 4 - 5 minutes watching them closely so they don't melt.

Makes 24 pieces.

* There will be extra crumbs and flour after breading, I've deducted them from the nutritional info.



Quick Marinara Sauce

Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
Calories: 51.5 • Fat: 0.8 • Carbs: 9.0 g • Fiber: 1.1 • Protein: 0.1 g

Ingredients:
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, smashed
• 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I like Tuttorosso)
• 1 small bay leaf
• 1 tsp oregano
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
• salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn.

Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add fresh basil.

The only difference with mine to the original recipe is that I substituted a lot of items though to keep it all organic, which was the flour, bread crumbs, cheese. It was all easy to find at my local health food store, but you don't have to do organic. That is purely reference, and I didn't edit the original recipe, so none of that was changed.

I am off to do my morning workout now. Today is Turbo Jam - Cardio Party by Chalene Johnson. :)

Quote of the day: "Don't let other people tell you what you want." – Pat Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment